Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cute as a Bug

Halloween is definitely one of my favorite holidays!! I've always loved it. From childhood to present I love all of the fun memories. I remember the younger years. I was always a witch. My mom would paint my face with this horrible green paint. I hated it!! I still shy away from green paint. The funny thing is I still find I'll pull out the witch hat whenever I need a costume. I recall trick or treating until I was way too old to be doing it anymore. Then major Halloween parties and dances in my late teens and early twenties. Then the teaching years with fun visits from my students and barely moving off of my couch to answer the door because I was too tired from long teaching days. Now I love watching my kids enjoy the holiday. Dressing up is a daily activity in our house so it is fun to have others join in. Treats are pretty much a staple here too. We love them. (A little too much!)
I always wanted to be one of the amazing mom's who sews elaborate costumes for their kids. Seeing how I have very minimal sewing skills, I did my best attempt this year. Fortunately in these pictures you can't see the crooked hems, uncut loose strings and all of the other mistakes. Luckily the girls are so cute you don't really even notice the outfit.



Is she a natural or what? I did not teach or show her this. She just does it!

Bzzzzzzzz!

I know very few signs, but bird happens to be one of them. I showed it to Tyli. Now whenever she sees a bird, she makes the sign and says "uh". It is so cute I almost hope she never learns the real word.



Ty adores her big sister. I knew she would want to be whatever Madi was so that was part of my inspiration for the bug costumes.

Flying around the yard.



Madi was so excited because she got this ladybug necklace to wear with her costume. It wouldn't be complete without some fashionable jewelry. (She learned this from her aunt Amy who designs her own jewelry.)

Well I'm totally happy with the way the costumes turned out. Jon wasn't very excited at first. (He thinks Halloween is for scarry costumes.) How can you resist two cute little bugs like these? We are so excited. We especially can't wait to go trick-or-treating in our new neighborhood. We just love Halloween!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Very cute! You made those costumes? Wow, good job!

benandnatty said...

Those turned out soooo cute! It does help, however that your two models are absolutely darling! I still can't get over that cute pose that Tylie is sporting! What a doll!

Brent and Laura said...

Those costumes are so cute. Very impressive, you should start a business!

Stacy said...

You did such a great job Jodi...I am continually impressed with all of your many hidden talents. I LOVE matching costumes, too, so now I'm even more impressed - we must be kindred spirits! My matching costume mantra had to go bye-bye about two kids ago...it just got too hard and the kids started having opinions about what they wanted to be for Halloween. Opinions - the nerve!

Brenda Jaramillo said...

Jodi these pictures are amazing and their costumes turned out so cute...you did such a good job. They are so original and creative and the girls are so beautiful. My brother never looks so happy as when he is in picutures being a Dad and a Husband.
I enjoy reading your blog.!
I will send you a picture that I took of my grandchildren in their Halloween costumes, they turned out so well.!
Love,
Brenda

Amy said...

Jodi...seriously...you amaze me. I LOVED THE COSTUMES. So up my alley. I would dress my girls that way right now if they would let me. Actually, they probably would. They are girly girls that will always love a good tutu. When my girls were that age I made them matching butterfly costumes, and your girls reminded me of Halloween...except your costumes were way cuter. Wish I had been there to see them in person. And I hear you Stacy...I tried to hold on the "matchy" thing as long as I could too. Now it is a bit too exhausting, but fun while it lasted.