Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

My friend Emily likes to celebrate EVERY holiday and non-holiday. She is seriously amazing! I don't know how she does it all. She is always doing such fun things for and with her kids. Some of her admirers, including me, have asked her to share her festivity ideas with us. These were some of her ideas to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday:

*Pink Ink for the Yink or the Rink Rinker Fink: Strawberry Milk and Berry Smoothies
*Making hats with Ritz crackers, large marshmallows, and licorice. Glue is frosting. Glue a marshmallow on cracker, then glue licorice as red stripes on marshmallow. This is Cat in Hat's cat.
*Cheese Trees-Put squares of cheese on a toothpick. These are from Fox In Socks.
*Fishing with magnets tied to string, on end of skewer. Fish have paper clips on them to be picked up with "fishing pole."
*Making Ooblek-Super fun, but messy. 1 1/2 cups of cornstarch. 1 cup of water. Green food coloring. Fun to play with.
*Collecting all my boys Dr. Seuss animals as the centerpiece.
*I will also have supplies for them to make their own Cat in Hat hats to wear.

So through her inspirational email I decided to throw in a couple of the activities in our day to try and be as cool as her. Yes, that is probably the only reason I did it. It was well worth all the mess. (Ooblek is VERY messy.)

Green Eggs and Ham for dinner. Yum!

They LOVED this. Nothing like gooey mess to play with.




Even Jon and I couldn't keep our hands off the Ooblek! What is this stuff! It was seriously cool. A solid and a liquid in one. Talk about magic.

1 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

Oh, look at you! It looks like you had a BLAST. I am glad that you were able to do some fun stuff. My boys touched the Ooblek for like, 20 seconds. I will have to tell them that Madi and Tyli had fun with it. Be looking for the next installment of holiday fun sometime next week. There will be a bonus with info on Free Food days at various places...Oh, the anticipation!