Thursday, February 26, 2009

Several Ways to Avoid the Winter Blahs

I love the winter! I really do! I enjoy beautiful clean snow, I love playing in it, driving in it, or even snuggling inside to avoid going out in it. After living with it my whole life, I almost don't know if I could live without snow. The problem is that by February I am sick of it! I really start getting home-ophobic. I get teary eyed just thinking about washing another dish, vacuuming another crumb, or folding another dang pair of pants. But last week I think I have found the solution. That's right. This blog is more than just eye candy, helpful hits are distributed when available. :) The key is to see how many projects and activities you can accomplish in one week. Now, I'm not guaranteeing it will work for you, but I have found success with this method. Here's what I did...

1. Spend an entire day doing fun things with a fun friend.
Last Monday Natalie and I took the kids to the Tree House museum. We had a fun day chatting while the kids had a grand time exploring, creating and using their imaginations. Every once in a while we were found helping them explore, create and imagine, but mostly we just chatted. Fun for all!

Photobucket



I love this picture. Isn't this a little how school really is?

2. Start New Projects. (Ones that require many people to help and that the final product will result in many compliments are ideal.)
My Friend Elise is a very talented in the home decor arena. Just recently she painted a wall in her kitchen to look like a real rock wall. It looked awesome! I loved it so much I begged her to paint a wall in my kitchen too. This has been fun! Although, I feel a little guilty since she is doing it all while I watch. I just can't really help while she works her magic. I am loving it!


The other project was inspired by Natalie. She had decided to reupholster a chair she had, and it motivated me to start adding the touches I had been wanting to my couch. It has been a bigger pain than I expected. I do feel a little sorry for all of the listening ears who have had to hear me talk about my fabric issues. (Thanks friends!)

(A Sneak Peak)

3. Throw a PAR-TAY!
Natalie has started a new book club in the neighborhood. I got to be the first "host" for our initial event. We had a good turn out. To my surprise we actually talked about the book for quite a while. ( This in comparison the a previous book club I had been in where the book was discussed for about five minutes before we moved onto other subjects.) I don't know where people find the time to read all of the books we discussed. Maybe I should spend less time on the computer to make time for other hobbies. Maybe...


This is the book we read this month. I give it about a 2 out of 5 star rating.

4. Go to a happy, light hearted movie with friends
I got to have another night out. Yippee. Some friends and I went to see...


It was so cute and fun! Nothing like a happy, fun movie with friends to send any blues running down the river.

4. Make Ordinary Tasks Exciting.

I have been trying to do Grocery Smarts for the past several months. The idea is that you use coupons on top of a sale, stock up, and save lots of money. It actually has been going quite well. Albertsons was having a big sale and Natalie and I decided to hit the store the day the add came out to actually get some of the items in the add because they go fast. We went late after the movie and had the store and cashier to ourselves. Natalie is the type of person that can become best friends with someone in about one minute. This is what she did with our cashier. So Martin, Natalie and I had a great time! We also got TONS of food for hardly any money. Nothing like a good deal to make you happy! We both left with a new perspective on grocery shopping. We had no idea it could be so much fun.

5. If any sun comes out, soak it up!
We actually had a couple of warm days this week. As soon as the sun came out we went to feed the ducks. Tyli can't get enough of the ducks. We were babysitting Ethan Thursday so he came with us. Stacy and the girls also came. Feeding the ducks is always more fun with friends. After Stacy treated me to lunch. She is so sweet. She is doing her part to lift my spirits! She is one of those amazing people that can make a simple lunch a gourmet meal in about five minutes. I felt like I had dined at a five star restaurant. Thanks Stacy!


6. Become a Ute Fan.
I live by some hard core Ute fans. Really hard core! They even go out vandalizing/decorating BYU fans homes in the middle of the night before a big rivalry game. (It really was more like decorating because it looked so cute!) Jon and I just don't really get the Ute or BYU passion since neither of us attended either school. Jon figures if he likes both teams he gets to watch twice as much sports. (Not always a good thing!) I just always feel bad for the loosing team so you'll always know who I'll be rooting for. On Friday, my friend Laura took us to the gymnastics event. We had so much fun!I really did catch a little bit of Ute fever. First of all, red really is a happy, fun color. Second, can you really go wrong cheering with a bunch of other fans? Third, a band and a theme song really are some of my loves in life.
The girls had the best time. Madi adores Christian and Elisabeth. Tyli loved every minute! She was even trying some of her own moves by the end of the night. We had a blast!
What can I say. They make a great Ute couple. :)

Go Utes!

Madi love dancing and cheering with Elisabeth.

Tyli loved clapping with the crowds!

Ty also love trying the many different gymnast moves. She loves this stuff!

7. Make yourself beautiful.

Since I can't do my own hair, I have to do my kids hair. This is a new one for Tyli.


8. Last, but not least, look for the good in all things.
After such a full week, I just couldn't help but be grateful for all that I have. I am so blessed. I know that if I try to focus on the good in my life, maybe the down times might be bearable. I just try to hold on to those "I love my life moments" hoping they get me through the "I hate my life" times.

Now it's your turn. Tell me your secrets to making it through the winter blahs. Please do share.

4 comments:

Brent and Laura said...

We had so much fun with you guys! Now you can start to understand why I am such a big Utah fan. The atmosphere of a sporting event is so energizing and full of life. It is addicting! I am impressed by all your projects! I need to come see your wall, and you need to help me with the grocery smarts. I just can't get into it!

benandnatty said...

We sure have had fun with you in the last few weeks! Your wall is looking AWESOME!! You have some great ideas to make the drab month of February go away...I knew there was a reason I hung onto your coat-tails!

Stacy said...

You are so clever and cute...and busy! That's probably the secret to beating the winter blahs and why you're so dang happy all the time.

We're going to have to work harder with our BYU influence. We're totally over-powered around here, but give blue a chance (it's a perfectly good color, too!)

I love your home redecorating, such great ideas. The wheels are definitely turning over at the Seeley house now!

And next Valentines Day can you make heart braids in my hair? Cade would just love it!

Amy said...

I just want to be you when I grow up. Seriously Jodi...where do you come up with this stuff. You are AMAZING. I wish I was there to do all this fun stuff with you. You make every day life so fun and wonderful. I can't wait to see you in March. February is not so drab here. It is actually gorgeous, but you would make it even better.